How do you spell success? C-A-N-D-Y-B-A-R! Yes, Annabelle Candy Co, Inc., of Hayward, CA’s, sweet success began in 1950 when master candy maker and company founder Sam Altshuler introduced his first creation and flagship candy bar, Rocky Road®. Annabelle Candy has since expanded its sweet offerings to include Big Hunk®, Look!®, U-NO®, and Abba-Zaba® candy bars.
Reasons for Pure, Honest Success
1. Love of Candy Making. Mr. Altshuler wisely instilled his love of candy making into his daughter and company’s namesake, Annabelle Altshuler Block, who took over operations in 1971. In addition, she instilled the sweet love of candy making into the family’s third generation, including both President and CEO Susan Karl and her brother, Gary Gogol, who have ushered Annabelle Candy into its sixth decade of operations.
2. Original Recipes. Karl believes one of the major reasons the company has remained successful is that it has kept true to its original recipes; and it hasn’t wavered in maintaining a high standard of quality in the ingredients it uses. “In looking for suppliers, we’re always very careful that the ingredients we use matches or exceeds the taste standards we’ve set…” she states.
3. Handmade Processes. Another main reason is that Annabelle Candy has not varied from its old-fashioned, handmade production processes, or anything that will affect the candy bars’ flavors. “There is a psychological aspect to how we remember a candy bar from childhood,” Karl explains. “When a child eats a candy bar, there is a sense of wonder – when that person becomes an adult, he or she may lose that wonder if the candy doesn’t taste the same.”
4. Customer Service. Karl claims also that another area of the company’s success lies in its quick response to its customers. “We receive e-mails and letters from consumers which we respond to immediately,” she offers.
5. Accommodating to Vendors. The company works directly with vendors and tries to accommodate its vendors’ display and packaging needs and the company is currently expanding into Wal-Mart, and other major retailers in the Western US.
6. Affordability. And finally, affordability has been at the forefront of Annabelle Candy Company’s sweet success for its 61 years of operation. “One thing about [our] candy,” Dave Klabunde, director of marketing notes, “…even in a bad economy, it’s still an affordable treat.”
Annabelle Candy Company, Inc.
Call Us – Local Phone: (510) 783-2900
Fax Business Inquiries: (510) 785-7675